Friday, October 19, 2012

Winter's Bone

I guess I should put a "Spoiler Alert" just in case.  I read the entire book Winter's Bone a little while ago now, so I don't completely remember what things happened before and after the assigned reading to this point...

If you're interested in the film it can be viewed here free if you have an Amazon Prime account, but as is the case most of the time, I found the book to be much better.  But a comparison between the two is for a different post!

I actually really enjoyed the book Winter's Bone.  At first I didn't feel like I could relate to the main character Ree Dolly in very many ways.  I looked for ways in which I could, and was eventually really drawn in by the challenges she was facing locating her father.  I was interested to see what it was that she was going to have to undertake to be able to find him in time for her family to not have their land taken for his failure to make a court appearance.  As she struggles to locate him, it seems like her family does nothing but get in her way.  Mother nature herself seems to be trying to hamper Ree's efforts.  These struggles were such an important part of the novel to me, they helped inspire this creative work:


G. Whittaker 2012

Nothing new
Second hand wardrobe
Second hand problems
Bitter winter averts her gaze
Glaring eyes see everything
Judge every action
Going it alone
Walking miles in that vein
In vain
Chapped skin
Unfeeling kin
Cold to the bone

4 comments:

  1. I really liked your poem at the end! I think you summed it up in a few short lines. From what I have read of the book so far, it's quite interesting and I cant wait to finish reading it. Thanks for posting the spoiler alert warning, even though I dont think you gave away too much information.
    (Terri Snyder)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gretchen,
    Once again, fantastic post for the week! I truly admire your work! The fact that you did a short summary first and then did a poem was a terrific idea. The reader was able to get some background information while enjoying a poem at the end. I enjoyed looking at the visual while reading the poem. The photo woke up my imagination and I was able to visualize too. Awesome job!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is fantastic. The pairing of words in the lines and the connection between ideas and thoughts truly melt the book into a whole. I appreciate your viewpoint and the poem definitely resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too could not really relate to Ree at first. It wasn't until she was beat up by Mrs. Thump and her sisters, and then was more determined than ever, that I realized "Dang, this girl is strong!" Then I felt myself subconsciously rooting for her.

    ReplyDelete