Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Modest Proposal

From Wikipedia.com
Our assignment this week for my class is to post the opening draft paragraph for a paper on "A Modest Proposal."  I am posting just that, but look for a post later on including the entire text of my essay if you are interested. (I actually wrote some of this as the intro to my video last week because I felt it might need some support and couldn't simply stand alone without some extra written framework to support it, so some of this may sound familiar.)  I modestly propose this opening to my paper:

"A Modest Proposal" is a satirical essay written by Jonathan Swift to address "preventing the children of poor people from being a burden on their parents or country, and for making them beneficial to the publick" in 1729 Ireland.  His unique, satirical approach to the situation alludes to how the issue was being approached from a primarily monetary perspective.  He attempts to persuade his wealthy Irish audience to attended to the issue with more compassion and addressed the human issues instead.  Swift's plan as he outlines it appeals to the logos, and seemingly fits with the mode for dealing with issue of overpopulation of poor Irish, however it goes to an extreme that effectively engages the audience's ethos and helps them to see the issue as what it is, a human one.

7 comments:

  1. I really like how you used the word strategically because I feel like that describes, his proposal very well, because of course he isnt being serious but is making it dramatic enough to get his point across! Great intro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is really well thought out. Your sub-points you presented all seem to flow really well. I think you will have a great essay. The only criticism I would give you is that you have such great point that it can be explained and viewed different ways that when you explain it just make sure you don’t forget what your main point is. I am pretty confident that you will do fine. Overall you have a good introductory post. ")

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have very strong summarizing skills and it shows in your work! This is a great opening paragraph that gives all of the major points in the writing. My only critique that would make it stronger, is to use the word cannibalism somewhere so the reader knows what grotesque ideas are about to be presented to him. Overall, great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I've said this before, but you have a great style of writing. I think you introduction paragraph is very well written, it points out main points of the story without giving away to much of it. I'm sure you are going to do a wonderful job on the essay just from reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your opening paragraph into your upcoming essay. I think it was very well written and straight to the point. You used the main points and even though I believe that Swift was logical with his ways of making his points he was also very extreme. I think we are very close in the ways of our thinkings with this paper. Great job!
    (Terri Snyder)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I continue to comment on your blog weekly, but that Cline wants us to try to comment on a different one each week however you always have yours finished early. I live in North Carolina and the time difference seems to mess me up a little bit here. While everyone is turning theirs in at the last moment I am left trying to find ones that are finished early so that I can turn my homework in on time. I am glad it has turned out this way though! You always give one hundred percent in your assignments. I always can go to your blog page to get ideas and a better understanding of what is being assigned. I am one who learns by example and it's you who helps me get through each week. Your introduction is off to a great start by the way. I didn't happen to see a link included in this blog, if you have time before its due I would throw one in really quick! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well laid out thoughts and perspective. You were clear in what the essay was truly about and kept your thesis short and concise. It is interesting how Swift turns this cold, grotesque essay into a pull on the human heart for compassion, even if in a biting way. One thing that the english in me has to say is that the "attended" and "addressed" should be without the "ed".. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete