Friday, December 7, 2012

Pearl Harbor Day

From Boston.com

Today is Pearl Harbor day, a day when we remember the December 7th, 1941 when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.  I have visited Pearl and the memorial twice myself and it was such an emotional experience.  My semester is almost over and I was having trouble deciding which book to read first during the semester break.  Today I was inspired. Today I started reading a new book.
Early Sunday Morning is a diary written by a fictitious girl about her experiences on Pearl Harbor Day.  It is part of the "Dear America" series of books which are all written in the same style for different eras and events in American history.  They are designed to be a way for young girls to be engages by American history and to feel like they can relate to girls who lived through these times.  Though I have not read one of these before myself, my 2nd grader has a collection of them.  I just found the Pearl Harbor one for her last Saturday, and inspired by today, I'm reading it before she's had a chance to get to it.

I just wanted to make a post on this day to share about this book.  I will have to post about it again after reading it of course!
If you are interested in reading about this year's 71st remembrance of the attack, here is a link to a short AP article about this year's gathering at Pearl.

No comments:

Post a Comment