Sunday, September 23, 2012

Rhetorical Analysis

Rhetorical analysis is a process we use to analyze a work.  It takes into consideration who the intended audience is, and appeals to elements of ethos, pathos, and logos.  Although this type of analysis is well suited for reading persuasive literature, it can also be applied to other types of works such as advertisements.  For my class we were asked to apply it to a film advertisement of our choice.



The information presented prior to the advertisement itself is meant for those who are not of the intended audience of the original ad.  The primary intended audience for the ad itself is Indians.  This is clearly based on the very cultural nature of the content.  Without the additional information provided in the Youtube video, we as the secondary audience may not fully understand the meaning of the ad.  The ad plays heavily on the pathos, taking the viewer through the emotional experience of the death of the husband, and the stripping of the wife of the symbols of marriage.  The emotional journey is designed to draw the viewer in and have them holding their breaths to see what is going to happen.  The logos element is also used, in that it makes sense that a permanent marker would be difficult to simply wipe off, and should reasonably last.  There is a jump in logic when the immovability of the dot leads to the revival of the husband, but it works because of the appeal to pathos.  The advertisement is very effective in reaching it's audience and appealing to them in a way that is memorable.

4 comments:

  1. This commercial totally got me. I was not expecting it to be a marker commercial. It was very serious at the beginning and made you wonder what was going to happen next. I think the commercial really sells because it is showing how permanent the marker is and should be. It shows that like you said, by the marker not wiping off that it brought back the revival of the husband. I thought it was a funny and catchy commercial. These are the kind of commercials that people like to watch. Which then makes us want to buy their products. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Keeley that this commercial took me by suprise. It would probably not be something that would have caught my eye if I were watching it on the televsion but it would definitly be something that I ask my friends if they have seen. Your breakdown of the three points of the triangle in relation to this commercial were wonderful. I think you did an amazing job!
    Terri Snyder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! This commercial was very surprising! As I watching, I was almost kind of appalled by the way the mourning women feverishly stripped the soon to be widowed woman's bangles. Then, after seeing it was a commercial for permanent markers, the act didn't seem so violent, it was just a form of Pathos trying to get to the viewer. Overall, a great example Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you did an excellent job with rhetorical analysis on this particular ad. I found the ad to be quite funny actually. You did a good job at describing what the assignment was so that all types of viewers could understand the purpose of it. The way you described the individual subjects of rhetoric were great! Job well done. I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete